As anyone in the beauty industry can tell you-- clients are always looking for the latest and greatest beauty products. Customers are constantly scouring the shelves to find something new to add to their beauty regiment. Those are the brave ones.
It could be worse; some women are so overwhelmed by the idea of skincare that they shy away from it altogether.
No. No. No.
Ladies, if there is one thing I could teach any and every woman who walks in and out of this Spa each day, it would be this: everything starts with great skin care.
Without proper DAILY skin care:
- makeup wont go on as smooth or stay on as long
- fine lines and wrinkles become more prominent and hard to camoflauge
- complexion can look dull, and dry
- increased frequency of breakouts or irritation
So, I decided to make it simple.
Three steps just twice a day to optimize your time and skin care routine.
1) Cleanse: Your skin is a large organ and it has to be properly cleaned to maintain itself. Even if you're not prone to dirty or oily skin-- you should still be washing your face regularly to help keep skin fresh and clean of any oils, dirt, dust, allergens, etc.
2) Toner: Use a gently toner after you cleanse EVERY TIME. The toner helps get that "deep down" clean that everyone is looking for, and helps keep dirt and oil from clogging your pores. It can also help control oil production throughout the day and helps makeup to last longer.
3) Moisturize: It can be a tinted moisturizer, day cream, lotion, serum, BB, CC or whatever else is out there-- just make sure you're moisturizing! This is going to go a LONG way when it comes to *preventing* and *reversing* the aging process.
And it should go without being said, but make sure you're using ONE PRODUCT with SPF on your skin EVERY SINGLE DAY! It can be your jane iredale makeup OR a daily moisturizer underneath your makeup -- but you need to make sure you're protecting your skin from damage at ALL times!
NEW PRODUCT ALERT!!:
For the last few weeks, I have been using jane iredale's NEW Skin Care line every morning before I start my makeup routine. I have oily skin and the new line was designed to help makeup go on smoother and last longer so I decided to put it to the test!
And I have been pleasantly surprised so far!
The 3-step process is simple and easy and works perfectly in the morning before I apply my makeup.
The Cleanser is an antioxidant- and vitamin-rich formula that contains micellar water (the newest IT thing in skin care) with soothing Cucumber Extracts to gently clean, nourish and protect skin.
The Toner contains organic Lemon Grass, Apple, Pear, Carrot and Coconut Water to restore the surface of the skin and balance pH -- it also moisturizes and helps diminish the look of pores.
The Moisturizer has a light feeling -- designed to brighten and protect skin from water loss and airborne pollutants. My only draw back to this line is that the *moisturizer* works best as a day-cream. I don't find it emollient or rich enough to keep the skin ultra-hydrated throughout the night/sleeping hours but it works PERFECTLY as a light moisturizer for daily use. I would however recommend something different for overnight-use.
Night/Before Bed Routine:
1) Cleanse: Let me break this one down this for all of my makeup wearing women.
*First, take OFF your makeup. *Second, Clean your skin. These are two very separate steps. Think of makeup as paint--- you can't clean whats UNDER paint very well without removing the paint first. Taking off your makeup first is going to make the biggest difference for anyone struggling with wanting clean, fresher looking skin. Your cleanser will be so much MORE effective when it doesn't have to work so hard to fight through all of that makeup every time.
My biggest secret for removing makeup: jane iredale's magic mitt. It will change your life! Just a little bit of *warm water* gets all of your makeup off -- no added chemicals, oils or drying agents necessary. And you can wash the mitt in the shower or just run it through the laundry to have a fresh one each and every time!
2) Dealers Choice!: It can be a scrub, mask, peel, toner, or acne treatment -- but you should do something in addition to your normal cleanser to help aid in the cleansing process. I like to mix things up-- different things different days--- 1) because I have so many products I LOVE and 2) because many of these products are not intended for DAILY use-- but rather more sporadically or "as needed". This is a great opportunity to swap products with your friends and give recommendations-- give your friend some of your favorite toner to try and you can try out the mask she's been raving about for weeks. While skin care IS about consistency, it is NOT about being BORING or stuck in a routine. Mix things up-- your skin will appreciate being kept on its toes!
3) Moisturize: SPF is LESS important at night-- but you don't necessarily have to leave it out. I've read many studies that recommend that even your night cream have SPF because it helps protect your skin 24/7. My biggest recommendation is to find something emollient and rich enough that you don't feel dry in the morning (after 6-8 hours). The product should be rich enough to keep skin supple, smooth and hydrated overnight to help aid in the aging prevention & reversal process.
Science tells us it can take 30 days to create a new "habit"-- and skin care should be just as essential to our daily routines as showering, eating and brushing our teeth. If you start today, it wont take long before these three simple steps become part of your normal routine-- and no longer feel like work.
In my mind, it is about acting EARLY and OFTEN-- because it is easier to prevent the aging process rather than trying to reverse it.